Monday, October 15, 2007

# 23. The Finish Line

I enjoyed participating in the program and have spent hours exploring and learning new tools at work and on my own time. I see a need for a new application to help me keep track of all the accounts and passwords that I now have from setting up accounts to use the different tools. The program helped me learn about Web 2.0 tools by participating and challenging myself at my own speed. With many demands on my time it is hard at times to add anything else to my schedule. But since the Infopeople Web 2.0 series of trainings are free and could be taken in any order, their flexible approach was a big incentive for me to participate. Another incentive was having co-workers who were also on the journey and could offer support and/or help if needed. At my library all staff members were offered the opportunity to participate and they were encouraged to move forward on the “to do” list by being reminded via e-mail of how much time we had left to complete the program.
Our “23 Web 2.0 Things Challenge” has helped me to improve and expand on what I’m currently doing at work. I am not an expert on any one tool but I will continue to explore and learn how to use them to provide services to our customers. One aspect of the training that I am still struggling with is that I still see a great need to teach our customers basic computer skills while I am ready to jump to the next curve. For those users we may be so far ahead of the curve that they won’t understand what we’re saying or see the need or the advantage of what we are offering them. We also have customers who know more than many librarians about technology and many of the new tools. They are quite happy to have the eBranch and want services delivered using the latest tools.
Another issue is that many of the applications need additional bandwidth and require up to date equipment, which may not be available at the library. And for many of our customers it may be something they can not afford to acquire. I guess this is just another part of the digital divide issue that we need to work on as we keep moving forward closer to the edge of the divide – hopefully one day we can finish building the bridge to the other side and catch a ride on the next wave.

No comments: